UNESCO inscribed Mount Kenya as a World Heritage Site. Its described as one of the most impressive landscapes in Eastern Africa with its rugged glacier-clad summits, Afro-alpine moorlands and diverse forests that illustrate outstanding ecological processes.
- Roads: 175 Kms from Nairobi, the park can be reached on Nanyuki-Isiolo road via Sirimon Track or Nyeri-Nanyuki road near Naro Moru. The park is also reachable via Chogoria on the Embu – Meru road, about 150km north of Nairobi.
- Airstrips: The closest commercial airstrip to the park is at Nanyuki
- Narumoru Gate
- Sirimon Gate
- Chogoria Gate
- Mawingu Gate
- Kamweti Gate
- Kihari Gate
SIZE / LOCATION
- 2800 sq.km
- East of the Rift Valley. Mt. Kenya lies about 140 km North, North-East of Nairobi with its Northern flanks across the Equator
- Climate, flora and fauna on Mt. Kenya varies with altitude
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
- At present the park does not operate the Safari Card system. Entry is by cash only.
- Pristine wilderness, lakes, tarns, glaciers and peaks of great beauty, geological variety, forest, mineral springs, rare and endangered species of animals, High altitude adapted plains game, Unique montane and alpine vegetation with 11 species of endemic plants.
- Include Elephants, tree hyrax, white tailed mongoose, suni, black fronted duiker, mole rat, bushbucks, water buck and Elands. Animas rarely seen include leopard, bongo, giant forest hog and rhino.
- Over 130 bird species have been recorded.
WHERE TO STAY
- KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
- Batian Guesthouse
- Sirimon Bandas
- Camping Facilities
- Kinondoni, Road Head, Mintos Hut & Campsite, Narumoru Gate, Met Station, Mackinders Campsite, Mackinders, Austrian Hut, Sirimon, Judmaier, Shipton, Liki North Hut 7, Solo and Major public campsites.
- Game viewing
- Mountain Climbing
- Cave Exploration
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight, walking boots, warm clothing, training shoes, socks, sandals and gaiters. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks.